Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2013

I unfolded that piece of paper last night and read through my resolutions for 2012, and I realized how generic and silly they were. Things like, "do well for exams", "work and travel more" amongst others made up the most boring list of resolutions ever :( If only I had been more specific and detailed, then I would have something to measure against.

Resolutions aside, I can't think of any pickles or unpleasant incidents in year 2012 that had me wishing the whole end-of-the-world saga would come true.

Academic wise, I'm happy with what I had achieved for my previous semester. It was a difficult term, probably the most difficult of all semesters. I couldn't be more proud of myself. And now that school is going to reopen in less than a week, I've got all the motivation and confidence I need to overcome the last two semesters!

One of the things I look forward to at the beginning of each year is to travel to new places. Last year was a significant year, with regards to this obsession of mine - I did my first solo trip. Though it was a short one, the experience was unparalleled. And it left me wondering: How much different would I become, if I were to embark on a longer and more radical journey.

I've penned down a few travel plans for this new year, in hopes of picking up where I left off, and also as part of fulfilling my resolutions. This time, it's more valid.

And finally, what's the point of having a good year without people around to share with. As with the past, I couldn't be more grateful for all the wonderful times spent with the different groups of friends. As much as I love to spend time with myself, it's only by slotting that few minutes into other people's lives that I actually feel really happy. And the quote from Jon Krakauer further underscores this reality - Happiness is only real when shared.

My 24th birthday celebration was one of the best I've ever had. It also serves to remind me about the mentioned quote. I had all my favorite people around me that night. True happiness.

Happy new year!

No comments :